Wednesday, October 25, 2023

The Economy's Impact on the Retired

There was one strange news on the top of the stories the other day: A retired man at 76 has become homeless. I'm baffled! It was said that the man, who bought his house 3 decades ago, had to sell it because he no longer could afford his mortgage. He does not have any place to live now and is awaiting the so-called low income housing or something like that. He even  considers going back to work! While I feel bad for the fella, I have the hardest time understanding how something like that happened but before going through different scenarios I see other possibility: Is someone behind this fake news to just give people a warning about their finances?! This, does not usually happen in Canada. No one cares! This is what is said in The Bronx Tale and that is true. The Federal Government's no one job to create revenue and they do whatever it takes to do that. So I don't see how could happen to the gentleman. If he is 76 now and bought the house 
Sonny, played by Chazz Palminteri, on right is taking to C, played by Lilo Brancato. No one cares was one morale of the story, The Bronx Tale. I didn't like it as much as I expected. The actors are great but the story was not satisfactory to me 
30 years ago, it means he bought it when he was 46 which is a bit late, or maybe it was not his first but houses were way cheaper 30 years ago. Unless he bought a very big house and was paying a big mortgage, it doesn't make any sense. And then the mortgage amortization is another question. People usually finance a property for a period of 25 years, at most. Perhaps there was a longer period available at the time and wanted to pay less over a longer period of time. And then he does not have anyone to assist him. No wife, no common-law partner, no kids, no siblings! One might say in this economic situation no one helps any one else! Or in other words: No one cares! I guess the slight decline in inflation has not helped either. The inflation rate went back down from to 3.8% from 4%! I don't want to speculate and say the guy was horsing around for 30 years but all of the possibilities should be considered. 
(Photo, top: I've been working straight since Nov. of 2019 except for the 3 months before starting the new job and almost every night my supper is something like this with a piece of flat bread which I started making at home. I could go to a fast food joint and pay $12 for a sandwich or order a delivery but I know there're always days that we might be deprived from a steady income. So I don't spend excessively. That is not the case with the majority of people, I believe) 

No comments: