Thursday, February 09, 2023

Flashback (35): The Steering Wheel

I haven't hung out with The Chef for over a year and a half. Last time I saw him he was kicked out of his job of 17 freaking years because he, I quote, " had touched someone's face at work "!! We all know what that means, He was either walking or riding an old bicycle because he couldn't afford his $5000 annual insurance for his old 1991 vehicle(!) and he was sharing a basement with mice, drunkards and some other members of society at that class!
I asked him to apply for a position with the company I worked for at the time. He came over and filled out the application form. I think the mistake there was that I gave the form to The Evil Woman and obviously because that piece of shit never liked me, his application ended up in trash can. He, nevertheless, took me to Gate of India and we had a meal, celebrating the job he never got! Later after a bad exchange of messages over the phone we never spoke. I only knew that he still was in the same shit-hole and worked as a dishwasher. The term dishwasher, and don't get me wrong I'm not looking down anyone because of their job, should not be considered as a derogatory phrase. George Orwell once had to work as a dishwasher and he's one of the greatest essayists of the all time but The Chef isn't even close to an average human being in the society and he's not alone. There're many of them, especially in Western society, in the countries such as Canada, the US, Britain, you name it! George Orwell, in fact has described them very well in his book, Down and Low in Paris and London which I wrote about it years ago.  
With that in mind, the story brought back a memory of him which I thought it might be amusing to people to read, although it's short. He used to drive a small old car, which I don't remember what brand it was but I have written about it a few times, I think. This goes back to the last years that he drove it because the car was about to fall apart! I don't know what he had done which has caused a major malfunction to the system that supplies fluid to the steering wheel! Turning the steering wheel without fluid is like a grabbing a bull on its horn and trying to turn its head! I, in fact helped him to do that a couple of times or so! He was going to turn while backing up in the parking lot of a Safeway and he would go " Get the wheel! Get the wheel "! And I would helped him to turn. It was so hard that two of us were having trouble turning the wheel! My guess is, and I'm not sure, that was what eventually led to losing his car. He might have gotten to an accident as it was so difficult to turn(!) and the rest is self-explanatory! 
(Picture: This, apparently is, how you add fluid for your steering wheel but his problem was that, and I quote here, the pipe which takes the fluid to where it should be used or the pump was broken!)

No comments: