Thursday, October 03, 2024

Out after 10 Years (4): Toyota Fails to Impress in its Museum

I planned to go to Toyota Automobile Museum since I though of traveling to Japan. Not many tourists go there because it's more than 03:30 travel while on one of the fastest trains in the world, for most of the trip: Shinkansen, reaching 320 Km/h (199 mph). Let me write a little about this train now: I have also been on ICE of Germany which travels as fast as 350 km/h (217 mph) but on much shorter trips. Shinkansen is as nice and even looks better and nicer inside and the people, without a doubt, are politer but that didn't ease the pain! I guess I was bored! I could've brought my laptop to watch a movie but I never thought of that. I guess I wanted to travel lightly.
I ride a local line from my hotel to a major station called Shinjuku and from there got on Shinkansen which I had already book a seat in there. I must say that the pass for the train cost a lot and if you don't travel that much, it'd be a waste. I paid ¥110,000 which is even more expensive because I looked for comfort. With that said, Shinkansen goes to Nagoya and passes alongside the Japan's south cost, partially, as the museum is there. The train travels the 345 Km (214 miles), distance in almost 02:00 hours and that includes a few short stops in between. It's pretty impressive. 
Shinkansen train leaving the station. The front aerodynamic shape is fantastic
The trip continues at Nagoya by taking a train line from start to end and then switching to another to reach the museum after only a few stops. The train system of Japan is amazing and I'm saying that as someone who has been to some major cities with train system such as Munich but Japan's is more complex and easier to get lost in it! I've seen Japanese who are walking with their phones, looking at the signs, changing their directions, you name it! 
It's only a 5 minutes walk from the station to the entrance and there're you're welcomed buy pretty, smiling, Japanese, tiny girls and you pay ¥1200 for admission which is really good but despite the cleanliness, organization and politeness of the staff, the museum failed to impress me. I also was a bit tired and I still am. So after visiting the gift shop where I found nothing to buy(!) but they have good things, decided to head back. The only problem was because I had a bad timing for my return ticket, I had to change the time by going to a JR office. There was no charge. I don't want to say not to go to the museum. It's all up to you. My main problem is the majority of vehicle on display were not Japanese or Toyota brand That is what you think you would see but maybe I have high expectations. It's not that bad. 
(Photo, top: The major early Toyota model was manufactured based on American car's design and appearance)

No comments: