Friday, October 04, 2024

Out after 10 Years (5): The Imperial Palace

I always have avoided tours and, as far as I could, the places that tours take people. It's just not for me. I understand many people pay for that to make it easier for them and be comfortable. With that said, I thought I should visit the Imperial Palace. So I planned and was there way before the starting time, probably 45 minutes. The only reason one would want to see this palace is that it's free! Otherwise all the hassle would not worth it. No disrespect to the Japanese people, to the organizers and certainly not to the royal family!
When I reached there, only a handful of people were lined up and as I said after nearly 50 minutes eventually the organizers came and distributed a form to be filled out with the basic information of the applicants. The form basically represented the ticket after it was reviewed and approved. Then it was introduction and preparation in a few languages and we were all sitting like prisoners who listen to the warden in the first day of incarceration! The only good thing , both for the visitors and the organizer, or perhaps for the royal family was the availability of gifts. I bought a couple of small thing for Mom. Then people were divided to different groups based on their language and followed the lead. This, certainly was unnecessary because the tour is available in different languages in an App and people could simply download that and listen to it. The leads and groups are for keeping people from going to certain areas and disperse. You do not see much but a few buildings and trees and perhaps a couple of bridges but you know how people, especially Western tourists are! They were taking pictures even from the administrative building! 
I was very happy when the tour ended. I could eventually keep away from crowd. It would be up to you but don't expect much from this tour but saying to others that you have visited the Imperial Palace, when you go home. They don't know you saw nothing! I was exhausted after the tour. Standing makes me tired really fast. Do not plan much for after this tour. The best thing to is having a delicious meal in a nice, lovely and quiet place. I didn't! 
(Picture: This probably could be presented as one of the good pictures of the Royal Palace)

No comments: