Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Island of Dr. Moreau, a Traumatizing Experience!

I don't know what made me to watch The Island of Dr. Moreau, despite all the negative reviews I had just read. I think one of the reasons was that it was shown once on IRIB many years ago and I missed it at the time. I think my friends were talking about that and it was the time I heard the name for the first time. It was not very common to see American movies on IRIB, unless the government could you it for its propaganda purposes, which was most of the case the reason why showed one! I think I've written about the version(!) of Southern Comfort which was shown on one of the IRIB channels, many years ago. It was shown under a new made up(!) title of The Operation Lagoon! It's not uncommon for other countries to change the name of a movie to something more suitable as it's not always easy to translate it literally but changing the plot is not very common. Most of the countries don't even dob the movie. IRIB always does as it's wouldn't be easy for people to enjoy, I think, although I watched Titanic in a small , but alright movie theater in Damascus in English, with Arabic subtitles, of course (I don't speak Arabic, I just happen to be there at the time the movie had just been released. It was like that even before the IRIB. Dobbing has always been part of showing foreign movies in the country. 
Then if you look at the cast, you'd find it quite impressing: Marlon Brando, Val Kilmer, Davis Thewlis (I've watched his performance in Seven Years in Tibet) and Firuza Balk. I've never been a big fan of Brando and never watched Godfather or other major old movies, from the time he was very young. Kilmer's fame, to me, has come mostly from Top Gun, the movie that I never care about(!) and found it only an American stupid propaganda and Balk was in American History X. She had a small role and it was okay. Firuza, by the name is a Persian name which is a sort of very beautiful blue precious stone. 
And then we get to this point that the movie is based on a H. G. Wales book. So what could go wrong?!
For me, almost everything! It was so horrific at times that I wished I had not started the damn movie. So many scenes with freaks, deformed faces and body, blood and gore, you name it!
Both Brando and Kilmer have no major roles in the film. Brando, in his last years, already suffering from obesity, gives a few speeches and then his character gets butchered! Kilmer, probably in his first years of acting, although would've not made any changes, in my opinion, doesn't have a significant performance either. The movie mainly revolves around the character of David Thewlis which delivers somewhat acceptable performance but after a few minutes, you'll realize what the fate of him and pretty much others would be! The only thing you don't know you'd get is lots of growling, shooting, killing and other awful scenes! And they hang poor Firuza, simply probably, because her dad's favorite, spoiler alert!  
Not recommended and sort of the movie that I'll not watch again. If I want to be very generous I'd give it 1.5 out of 5.
(Photo: Actor Ron Perlman plays the role of a blind spiritual leader to the group of genetically modified[!] creatures in the movie. He survives the riot/fire fight or whatever you might call it, of the end) 

No comments: