Tuesday, August 08, 2023

From " The Maltese " to " Peanut Butter " Falcon

I haven't had the chance, yet, to see the new movies that everyone's been talking about for the past month. One reason is when you're out-of-work, you don't feel like you want to go anywhere, particularly when you're by yourself! You have this feeling that everyone knows that you're on a limited and fixed budget and inside of them they're laughing at you! 
Instead you try to make yourself busy with everything at home. For me who has been working since late 2019 and even during the pandemic, sometimes 6 days a week, 9 hours a day now it's not so easy to stay home all day long! Most of my time is wasted and there's not much I can do. One thing I do regularly is watching the movies I have, either for the first time or repeatedly! 
One movie that I've watched recently is The Maltese Falcon. A movie made 1941! This, obviously is a very famous movie and a classic and I had seen it once in the old country but I barely remembered the details. I don't think the new generation is interested in a movie which, to my surprise, was made during the time that many countries were involved in war and that's the same year the US got involved in war with Japan
The movie is mainly orchestrated by two characters: Humphrey Bogart's and Mary Astor's. A great story and direction but Bogart's act is not as impressive as you expect although I haven't seen any other movie from him to be able to compare but he doesn't wow you! Astor, a pretty lady for her time is good as well but maybe acting was different 80 years ago! 
It was not very easy for me to understand everything as someone English is his second language. I don't think my English is bad but they all speak fast and with a sort of accent that you rarely hear that in today's movies! There's a scene that Bogart is talking to D. A. and a couple of other authorities of San Francisco and turns to a guys who is writing everything down and goes: Did you get everything or am I going too fast!? Great movie overall in many ways different from the today's.

Johnson and LeBeouf in a scene of Peanut Butter Falcon 
On the other hand there's this B-Movie Peanut Butter Falcon. Boring and stupid! Despite the fact that both LaBeouf and Johnson have good acts, mainly LaBeouf but the story is so cliche and boring, not to mention Stupid! Two people, like most movies, a man and a woman, get involved in a problem, unwillingly and disagree. The disagreement continues to the point that things get better and they kiss and fall in love! Dakota Johnson who has became very famous does not offer much but her look. She's truly pretty but that doesn't help much in the movie! I only had seen him in Black Mass with Johnny Depp. While the movie is great and Depp is very good, Johnson's role, as her wife was not good at all. I don't judge an actor or actress based on one or two movies and will wait for more of her works but the movie definitely a big F for me. Not every movie with falcon in it is good! 
(Photo, top: Bogart and Astor in a scene of The Maltese Falcon. I think if this movie had been made in the 80's or 90's there would have been a sequel to that by now! In fact I'm surprised why no one has done that! Maybe Hollywood is waiting for the 100th anniversary!)

No comments: