Friday, August 18, 2023

Return of the Jedi

I said it in an earlier post that I had met The Chef after more than a year. We talked for a hike, although I knew he would not, most likely, be able to continue to the top, based on the previous experiences but agreed to go this past Thu. I wanted to finished the damn Thrift Peak. This would've been the 4th attempt but then thought to myself that despite the fact that The Chef will accompany me and it would not be a boring 230 Km (~ 140 miles), it would not be a good thing for my old vehicle which, now, has almost 167,000 Km on it! The Chef as a company would have had other benefits! You can laugh by the way he acts and we would have shared the cost of the trip. Then I tried to rent a damn car but nothing was available. I tried 2 rental companies and stopped there. Then I realized that there was smoke in the air and used it as excuse to cancel the trip! The Chef didn't like the idea but I was able to convince him to not to take the trip while I promised that we would, instead, have Fish
This small apples, called September Ruby are planted next to the community orchard I have mentioned. They are a bit sour and I'm going to try them in a jam(!) to see how they tatste
I went to his place yesterday, to pick him up and as soon as he sat next to me I realized he was drunk! We went to a nearby The Real Canadian Superasshole(!) because that's where you can get good and fresh fish and bought two medium size Salmons. I don't know kind they were but I told him that was too much. He insisted it was not! We got some vegetables and headed to the cashier where he realized that he had forgotten Lemon. I paid for the stuff and when he returned with a couple of Lemons, I tried to make him understand the he only had to pay for them and the bottle of Olive Oil that he had insisted to buy! He paid for those and while we were leaving, he grabbed the shopping cart of a women who was behind me and rolled it out until the woman, who already had her shopping inside told him about it! I couldn't stop laughing! I reminded him that it happened because he was drunk! He said that he only had had one glass of Red Wine at noon! I know what he means by " only one glass "! It must have been the whole bottle. 
Before heading home I stop by this Community Orchard that I had discovered last week and we picked some apples to make jam. The Chef was thirsty and when I told him to try an apple, he liked it. The apples are good but because no one takes care of them, they're not excellent. Besides they don't look like the apples you see in the stores because there's no fertilizer and no pesticide. That's probably why people leave them there to rot! 
At home we sat for a chat and fortunately there was no alcohol or the whole event would turn to disaster, as it has happened before, several times. He wanted to buy alcohol but I told him that I would, them, not be able to drive him home! I don't have any issue with alcohol as long as it's consumed moderately. My issue is The Chef that always turn to a monster after a few drinks! 
At this point it was almost 21:30 and we just wanted to start cooking! The Chef started chopping and cutting the vegetables. He is usually excellent but years of drinking alcohol has done serious damage to his brain! At one point he forgot why he had cut all the tomatoes! Then he cut 5 Jalapenos despite the fact that I told him it would make it too hot to be tolerable. He made two types of Salmons: One in the oven and one in the pan. We finished the latter and divide the first between us for later. It was as good as every time he makes anything with this difference that it was so spicy that I was sweating like a pig while The Chef was eating like it was candy! This was the story of Return of the Jedi! Needless to say that our Jedi here is Lord Chef! 
(Photo: This is not Fish& Chips! Different types of fish is enjoyed differently in different parts of the old country. Here, in Canada I have had Fish & Chips a couple of times but this is completely different: Fried fish, not dip fried, with home made flat/pita whole wheat bread, which I had made the day before and of course you squeeze fresh lime or lemon on it)

No comments: