Monday, September 30, 2024

Out after 10 Years (2): Roaming around Tokyo

The second day of the trip was not so good but there were some progresses. It's 06:05 here and I returned to the hotel last night around 04:30 as I was so tired. The nigh before the flight I didn't have a good sleep and then this big time zone difference ha affected me significantly. I tried to find a tourist office to ask a few questions and also familiarize myself with the area but that led to hours of walking cluelessly! I think I wasted some 2 hours! Found no office of such! The Google Maps on the phone was not helpful or I don't know how to set it up on the phone.
Then after a short rest in the hotel, I headed to the city center where Tokyo Station is located. Downtown Tokyo, at least the limited area that I visited is similar to any Western main city: Men and women in professional attire, cabs, tall buildings, expensive shops, bars, restaurants and cafes, nice gardens, only enjoyed and maintained by Japanese people and a few foreigners. 
I then headed to Imperial Palace although I knew it was closed, just to see the area. Many businesses that tourist intend to visit are closed on Monday. So don't waste your time going there. Beside it would be somewhere very crowded as usually main tourist spots are, all, these days. The outside walls of Imperial Palace where the Emperor and his family lives are impressive. The capital was transferred from Kyoto to Tokyo in 1869 and so did the royal family. I hope I can visit the palace before I leave Japan
Then I got on subways, for the first time, and headed to a shrine called Yasukuni-Jinja. Japan has lots of temples and shrine which are frequently visited by the Japanese to pay respect and pray and visitors just to see. This shrine which has a museum adjacent to it is open to visit to the public at no charge. I was too tired to go to the museum but the museum is about the people who sacrificed their lives for their country, probably some of the WWII who are greatly admired and respected in Japan. I might go there if I get a chance. After that I just headed back to the hotel, got something to eat and couldn't even sit at the table! 
The good thing is now I have a much better idea of how to use the Tokyo transit system. 
(Photo: Yasukuni Shrine's side door. That is why there is no person in front of it and make it a good picture! Japanese slowly approach the main gate, claps their hands, bow and pray and then when leaving pay their respect as well. There are a few guard in the area but none are armed as far as I remember. I think there would be no need for that. Westerners believe this place holds and admire the Japanese who committed war crime. I believe the Westerners always forget what they do or pretend what they have done and blame others. If this shrine promotes war crime then every Vietnam War memorial and American cemetery for the military does the same! Right?)

No comments: