Sunday, November 26, 2017

The Reader: A Very Strong Story and Performance

The Reader was amongst a few great movies that I found in Value Village few weeks ago. I don't shop in that dump but their books, CDs and movie collection, at times, give you good value. The Chef likes to go there and most of the time he comes out empty handed or discards the garbage that he has purchased. I will have a separate post for nasty, stinking dumps such as Value Village in a country, which is claimed to be DEVELOPED, part of G7 and one of the best to live in!!
The Lady told me about the movie years ago. It was displayed on his way to Canada, the first time he came, on board Lufthansa. She said that there was an old Iranian woman sitting next to her reacting angrily every time sex scenes were seen! I understand how uncomfortable some people could be but that's part of Western culture. If you don't like it, then fuck off. I might feel uncomfortable during a movie like that, depending with whom I'm watching it but these days you have to expect scenes such as that in every Hollywood movie, regardless of genre!
The movie is great, both in terms of story and acting. A number of German actors and actresses perform in it including the guy who portrayed the heartless German officer who killed prisoners from his balcony. Kate Winslet's performance is superb. She plays a Nazi concentration camp guard. I'm not going to spoil the movie for the ones who have not seen it. It's highly recommended but it's very sad at the end. I came into tears. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
(Photo: David Kross and Kate Winslet played as lovers in the movie. Kate's performance in the movie awarded her OSCAR for the best actress in 2009) 

No comments: