Friday, April 05, 2024

Caught in a California Storm

 

I tried to go to sleep early and set the clock at. I think 05:30 or something but sleeping was not so easy. These hotels, all of the, no matter how much you pay, the majority of them have no comfortable bed. I paid over US $250 for each night at Renaissance Hotel and despite its cleanness and being nice, both the mattress and the pillow where uncomfortable. The blanket was no better. You would expect a hotel in that price range to be different from Travelodge or Motel 8! Signs of storm was seen at night but I didn't mind it and got out early in the morning. I don't even remember whether or not I got coffee or where I got it but I headed north and that was where I saw so many flashing lights! I went" What the hell is all these. It was raining and it got heavier when I hit I-10 East. It didn't take long to realize that I had make a mistake in two senses! 
1) A rainstorm on the road means a snow storm in the mountain! 
2) I-10 East is not a good road for a driver like me who barely gets close to 20 miles hour bellow the posted speed limit and is heavily dependent on the highway signs and an old GPS
I decided to stop for a coffee at a McDonald's and then turned back! By the time I got back to the town it was 07:30 or something or perhaps I shall say that I don't remember. Then I decided to try going to Joshua Tree National Park and the first time I ended up Desert Hot Springs(!) and came back realizing that the GPS is not updated. It was nothing but waste of gasoline, time and money, of course. I eventually got myself into I-10 West and hoped to get to the said park. Not a chance! There were problems!

The hotel's parking lot. Such a beautiful place. Not jam packed at this time of the day

1) There was construction alongside the road and lanes were limited. 
2) You would think you're in desert and all you have to drive in is flat road. Wrong! Big trucks had difficulty going up the hills and there was a backup!
3) The rain was pouring down and was driving me nuts! Nothing bothers me more than driving in heavy rain where I have to have the wipers on, constantly and listen to the annoying noise!
4) Further up the hill, I realized why there was a backup! A Highway Patrol had pulled over an speeding asshole and the entire left lane was blocked! 
I eventually reached the park but then decided to back(!) because it meant nothing to get out in heavy rain! 
So entire days passed by driving around Palm Spring area, eating snacks and taking a few pictures! What would have I done, had I stayed home?!(Photo, top: Rainbow over Road 86. You think the storm is done but I went back to I-10 East again and it was the same!)

No comments: