Sunday, April 07, 2024

Indian Canyon and some Businesses in Palm Springs

 My third goal in my short southern California trip was a native land which has been partially turned to a park: Indian Canyon. I was one of the first vehicles entering the park, considering it was Sun. and everyone was still asleep! This place has several trails is is surrounded by mountains by unfortunately I didn't have enough time to spend there. Rain was another issue which started after almost 1 hour to an easy hike. I decided to go back as I don't like this sort of nerve racking situation, especially because my flight had been scheduled for the afternoon and had to be there in the airport 2 hours ahead of the flight which is most of the time unnecessary!  
The other problem was the vehicle. My rental, despite being a good brand and good model had a problem and I don't want to name the renting company because that was not certainly their fault. It seemed to be a problem with either the battery or the starter, although it could've been anything else as the new vehicle have computer and electronic systems. The pick up truck refused to turn on and it happened at least 4 or 5 time when I went here and there, especially when I left the park to get something to eat. 
I checked 4 businesses during my short stay: Ralph's, Jensen's Finest Food, Stater Bros Market, Koofi and one convenience Store which I don't recall its name. It was interesting to me that a small town has three different brand of supermarket and that is in addition to Wal-Mart that these days you can see in any North American city, if not everywhere in the world! 
The quality and price of the said stores are sorted from the top to bottom, in case you end up in Palm Spring and would like to buy something:
 
1) Jensen's Finest Food: It truly is the finest. If you drive something less than a VW SUV, you'd better not go to this store! Most of the vehicles I saw there, were either high-end models of top brands or today's EV that not everyone is able to afford. Everything is top quality and priced accordingly. I just bought bar for some $4 and that was good. I think it was on sale or something.

2) Ralph's: It's part of Kruger family. It was jammed pack the first time I was there and prices were reasonable. However I only bought to small pieces bread for $1!

3) Stater Bros Market: It looks like a place that mostly Hispanic, Black and lower income people would go there. I didn't buy anything, not because it looked cheap. I simply didn't find anything appealing. 
Now going to Koofi which seems to a major coffee brand in Palm Spring, was a disappointing experience for me. It seems that the franchise has at least 3 locations in the town but whether they have other ones in California or elsewhere, I don't know. 
How hungry should you be to eat this so-called wrap? The price is in US Dollars and it is presented in one of the Koofi location in Palm Spring, California. There are people who make only a few dollars more after working 1 full hour and there are people who spend way more than this on a lunch or breakfast without wondering. I'm neither of them and despite the fact that I totally understand today's inflation and cost of running a business, I can't eat something like this, no matter how hungry I am.
I checked out the one close to my hotel as it was only 5 minutes walk. It's a small place with tables outside as well. The first thing is they close at 17:30 or something, assuming people don't drink coffee at that time of the day but they could have extended their menu to have longer hours. The other thing is despite the quality of the coffee which is good but not superb, they have a limited menu with skyrocketing prices! One thing must be added here is that apparently taxes are high in this town because I also saw that a medium glass of Orange Juice in McDonald's cost nearly $4! So, it shall be consider that California and specifically Palm Spring are expensive places. 
Palm Spring is such a beautiful place and had I done my hike, I would have enjoyed my trip much more. Not to mention that the continuous rain was really nerve racking when it was coming down. Will I go there again? If I plan for San Jacinto, I thing PSP is the closest unless Alphonse says he would join and agrees to drive from LAX.
(Photo, top: Palm trees in Indian Canyon in southern part of Palm Spring on an Indian Reserve)

No comments: