Saturday, June 24, 2017

CFLRS Notes (16): 5 Km and 8 Km Marches

There are two rucksack marches that the recruits have to perform during their training in the garrison and they are 5 Km and 8 Km marches, both performed on the pathway. They both are integrated with other physical activities: There's a series of obstacles which have to be overcame after and sometimes before the 5 Km march and there's casualty drag. For 8 Km, as it's more difficult, there's only casualty drag at the end. 
5 Km march was not hard but I barely have a recollection of that. I only remember that I feel off the Monkey Bar while only had two more to complete the first time and the second time I didn't go past the second bar! I also remember that a few guys had beautiful falls at different obstacles, including an Oriental gal who landed on her neck and couldn't move for a few seconds! Rather than that there was nothing special about that march.
During 8 Km march it was different though. The pace was very fast and I had to speed up to reach the person ahead of me a few times. A number of people had to stop and at the end a gal fainted! I can't tell if that was a show or she really lost consciousness because people do anything to get away from hard physical activity but we then did the drag and I was fine. 
My rucksack was among the few ones which was weighted and the Master Seaman told me that it was 5 lbs. heavier than what it was required. " Good Job " he added at the end.
The point for finishing these marches successfully is simply to keep a steady pace and drink water if needed. I believe more than 95% of the recruits pass that easily although some might feel extremely tired after that. 
(Photo: Members of the US Army helping a soldier during his 10 Km rucksack march. Again no cameras are allowed in the garrison and that's why I'm using this picture)

No comments: