Saturday, July 11, 2020

The Inspection

Having a home inspection, before the sale becomes finalized as an option available to the purchaser but is not mandatory. The aim is to find any issue in the house that might become a problem when it is occupied by the new owner and address it. The result, in a documented report, is supposed to enter into negotiation with the seller and get the price lower or ask them to fix the issue. The purchaser, of course, pays the inspector's charge but the question is whether the cost balances itself? Is the inspection's report worth the money that the purchaser pays? In my case, the seller first forbade us from accompanying the inspector, the right that the purchaser, in my opinion, should have. However I was able to reach out to him just 15 minutes before he finishes his work and he pointed at a few issues. The realtor recommended to have an amendment to the offer and in that she requested the issue to be fixed before the possession date or a total of $750 be given to the purchaser. This, in comparison with the total cost of inspection, a nearly $490, is not a bad deal. I would not have been able to detect the issue if it had not been because of the inspection but in the meantime there are so many other minor an major things in the report that you leave without any choice with!
There're parts of the report about major things in the house such as roof or electrical that the inspector simply says that he did not have access to! And there are minor things that they are not big enough to bring to the attention of the seller but if you want to fix them yourself they are costly. 
I mentioned that to the inspector, whom was introduced to me by the realtor after I paid him and received the report. He didn't like it but now I regret why I didn't do this years ago and have a very good understanding of the situation and know what to do if I want to go to another place in a few years from now. At the same time performing a home inspection at the level that this fella did is not complicated and easily feasible, particularly now that I have a report, not to mention the information available in the internet, particularly the provincial government who issue license to these people. I would rather to do the inspection for my next home myself and save at least $500 because the charge goes up with the area. He said it took him 2.5 hours to complete his inspection while I highly doubt that. Many items is left blank and explanations such as " Not part of the inspection " or " No access was available " was provided. Besides there is no test on appliances!! That was the stupidest part of the report and that is one of the reasons that I most likely, if it comes to purchasing another property, would do the inspections myself. The appliances are the tools that you deal with them in your daily life. You use the refrigerator, the stove and at least once in a month the washing machine and probably once a week or even shorter the dishwasher but none of them even gets looked at by the inspector. So there's a very good chance that your refrigerator shuts down just a week after you moved in and then you not only have to drag it out but also you have to spend time to find a good one that matches your budget and then haul it up! So in general the inspection does not worth the time and money you spend on it, at least for someone like me who is known as a restrict and attentive Quality Control professional like me!
(Photo: An inspector is checking the work on a wall, something that I don't think this inspector did! Mold and moisture common problems, as well as insulation)

No comments: