Tuesday, February 08, 2022

The Real Simple Life

I went for a little shopping today and that was after I got a hair cut. A simple hair cut at a very regular place, not luxury and nice with beautiful girls, cost me nearly $28(!) including tax and tip. I did a little more than $40 grocery shopping at a Safeway. And what did I get? Just basic stuff: A dozen Eggs, a jar of Peanut Butter, two Astro Yogurts, a small bag of Broccoli, a small bag of frozen Salmon (for the first time in the last 2 years I decided to have some Fish and that hasn't been for the cost solely. It's part of my diet to avoid seafood), a bag of Coffee Beans (I make fresh Coffee the days I'm home) and that was it. Nothing fancy, nothing ready, no snacks, no fruits! I wanted to buy a container(!) of Feta Cheese. It's 1 kg. It was $23! I didn't! 
On the way home I decided to stop at a Hideous-Mart (Known commonly as Wal-Mart!) to buy a small pack of Pita Bread. That was one I realized that the bastards have increased the price from $2.77 to $2.97 while at the same time the same Feta Cheese was sold for $16! A $7 difference! That's somebody's lunch and there's people in the country who have to work half an hour to earn that! My last stop was a local gas station. $40 got me a little more than 27 liters.
Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie on the set. They no longer are friends, i read somewhere. Not that it's important but the show was not bad
These are basic and unavoidable cost of life. It was sitting at a nice or even average restaurant and eating a good meal, not going to a bar, not a the movies, not taking a date out to dinner(!), nothing fancy. Just basic and simple things that a normal person needs to survive and though it cost a lot in a way that I'm really being careful. I never shopped at Hideous-Mart or similar for many years  and then when I had a good job, we only went there because my wife wanted or there were things that we didn't find in other supermarkets. Now I have gone so low that there're items that I need to get them from the said store or I don't buy it at all! Now I'm living a simple life! 
If you watched TV regularly, you probably remember Simple Life in 2003. It was a TV series that Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, the main characters, would go to small towns and rural areas to experience their life style. They always made fun of them or were in shock of their life which was nothing but basics. I used to watched on CTV but know I don't even have a television set! I'm more in simple life than any one else. I think and nothing will change it but a real job which is not easy to come by. Another solution would be making a series based on my struggles in life and calling it the title of this post! 
(Photo: I took this from the pump I used today. I still have to figure out " Corrected to 15 degrees " mean! In fact it'd a good question to add people!)

No comments: