Monday, June 26, 2023

Coffee versus Gasoline


Eating out is part of Western Culture which has been spread to the other parts of the world. I don't remember even once that I had my breakfast anywhere rather that home, before immigration. We ate breakfast at work and it was quite fun. Every day one person would bring something but there are only a few days in a month that we would arrange for that. Here unless it's a weekend and barely, no one eats breakfast at home. Long lines in the morning at Tim Horton's and McDonald's, the two main breakfast places in Canada, is seen every morning. People spend hundreds of dollars every month. The major part of breakfast here is coffee and it's price has gone up like everything else's in the past year or so. 
I have reduced my outside coffee intake but if I want a coffee, I will go to a McDonald's, usually. My regular size of coffee is medium which is a 16 Oz. cup., if we trust what McDonald's claim! Oz., or Ounce is an imperial unit for measuring volume. One ounce equals to approximately 0.03 Liters, a metric unit for measuring volume, which is not used much here in Canada except for gasoline which the way it's used is funny! When you go to a gas station to pump, you won't say you like to purchase 20 Liters of, for example, gasoline. You say you would need $20 worth of gasoline! Why? That's how the system has been set! 
Going back to McDonald's coffee, a medium size coffee is 16 Oz, which equals to 0.45 liter and now I think it's $1.79 and a 0.05% tax is added that to where I live, in Alberta and it goes up to $1.88, although I'm sure I paid more the last time I bought a cup. If we consider a medium coffee is $1.88, including tax (in Alberta), it's way more expensive than gasoline!!
Average price of gasoline in Alberta is nearly $1.41 for a litter now, which is said is less expensive than other provinces. Here you see why companies such as McDonald's make millions of dollars! They rob people blindly! 
Less than a liter of coffee cost $1.88 and one liter of gasoline cost $1.41!! You are telling me it cost less to extract oil, transfer it to refinery, run it through a process to make gasoline and then transfer it to a gas station in a city, than making a damn cup of coffee??!!
(Photo: McDonald's so-called muffins and Donuts. Must be one of the healthiest and most delicious ones amongst all in the world!)

No comments: