Friday, April 23, 2004

The Dalai Lama in Canada


China invaded Tibet in 1950. That’s the first thing says about Tibet. I really don’t know if it’s a true statement or not ’cause Tibet is a land attached to China or as Chinese government claims, it’s part of the main land. So it’s like saying Canada attacks Nova Scotia and takes over it.
I guess no one knows the truth. Chinese claim that Tibet is part of China and Tibetan and Western countries blame China for killing Tibetan and occupy the independent state.
Anyways the Dalai Lama, which is the general name for Tibetan spiritual leader, (I guess this is the 13th Dalai Lama) is in Canada now. He first went to Vancouver. Many people get there to meet with him and listen to him, including some from Washington State of the US. He then went to nation’s capital and met Paul Martin. This is the first time that a Canadian prime minister accepts the Tibetan leader. This will have negative effects on China-Canada relationship.
I personally like Dalai Lama. First time I knew about him was when I watched the movie Seven Years in Tibet, a movie based on true story of an Austrian who goes to Tibet and shortly after that the Second World War began and he was taken hostages by British, while heading home from his failed climbing to one of the highest mountains in Himalayas.
I love the movie and I have watched it at least 5 times. Bard Pitt has a tremendous performance in it.

Note: My Chinese friend, Dr. Quping Hu, whom I met first in U of C, objects Chinese invasion to Tibet and belives Tibet has been part of China for ever. He lives in Toronto now. I'll write about him more.
(Photo: The Dalai Lama, (means ocean of wisdom), spiritual leader of Tibet)