Monday, September 19, 2005

Shalimar the Clown


I usually buy Calgary Herald on Saturdays for it's working section. There's an interview with Salman Rushdie, the Indian novelist who was sentenced to death by Imam Khomeini in 1989, in the last issue. The interview indicates that Rushdie, lives in Manhattan, NY, now with his forth wife and uses his real name and goes everywhere freely, while keeps his flat (apartment [us.]) in London, England.
The reason that he was hated by Muslims, especially the ones in Pakistan, Britain and India is his book called The Satanic Verses. But the main reason for the recent interview is not that book and his years of disastrous life in Britain. It's about his new book, Shalimar the Clown which is about Kashmir. I haven't read The Satanic Verses but I'm gonna buy and read after I finish the two books I'm currently reading. Kashmir reminds me of my Kashmiri friend in here, R. K., who his story will be told later.
(Photo: Portrait of Rushdie)

No comments: