I was studying for my CQE exam. (frankly I'm not doing well!) and reached Maslow's theory. This American psychologist believes that every person has a series of needs in his or her life which have an order of priority. They are:
- Basic physical needs. For example food, water, sleep and sex.
- Safety and security. Need to feel secured and free from threats. Economic or job security are examples.
- Belonging and love. need to be belong, accepted and give and receive love.
- Esteem. to be regarded with respect and be recognized.
- Self-actualization. need for personal fulfillment. To fulfill one's potential and the best one can be.
Also when a level is reached sufficiently, it loses its motivating power and next higher-level need emerge while the highest level, self-actualization is considered insatiable. I, myself, still have big problems with level 1, 3, 4 and 5!!
(Photo: Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs)