Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bear in the Backyard

Squamish is known as bear country but I never saw one until tonight. I was watching the news and got out to turn the water off, the one which was watering the lawn. As soon as I got out I noticed someone in the neighbour’s backyard. I thought it was Perry, late Val’s son who lives with his gf in the suite of the neighbouring house. I got closer and he stood up. That and started walking. That was a bear!
It was busy with the flowers in the trash bin. I guess that was a very delicious snack for it! It took one walked a few meters and started having it. I ran back to the house to get my camera. I took a few photos but none of them looked good. The bear looked that it noticed me but didn’t care. Obviously the snack was much attractive. I went in again and got my Yashica regular camera but that one didn’t help either. Then I tried closer shots from inside but none of ‘em worked. I needed a tripod. I didn’t dare get really close. It might have attacked me. But I guess that was a baby because didn’t seem very big to me. But if it was a baby, why it was alone? It shouldn’t have been a baby. I guess it was almost as big as (or as small as!) the one I saw in Squamish Valley Road, if that was a bear too!
The bear got back to the bin, took another bunch and went back to the jungle. Or at least that’s what I thought when I saw that. It just got disappeared! I thought it had been gone and went back in and grabbed my flashlight. It was there sitting and looking at me! I saw its eyes! I ran back in. I didn’t know what would happen if I disturb it a little more.
(Photo: This is what I have as the photo of the bear who likes fresh cut flowers. Do you see anything?)

No comments: