Monday, May 01, 2006

It's a Sin

I downloaded a song of Pet Shop Boys a few weeks ago and transferred it to my iPod. I was listening to it on my way home today and found out it's almost me singing the song! The song's called It's A Sin. I, first time, listened to this song when my friend Farhad S. gave me a cassette of the band years ago. I think it was 1989. Then he became a student in medical school of University of Tehran. Last time I saw him was a day in Polytechnic! That was 1993 I guess. I was surprised seeing him over there. He told me that he had come over there to see Islamic Republic and its roots' course (What a crappy course!) instructor to talk to him about the mark he had. He, on that time, believed that he should have gotten a higher mark! The fucking instructor who I even remember his filthy surname, Nakhaei, was a chimp with a pair of glasses, shabby cloths and a beard like a mop! We used to whisper a lot in the classroom and that drove him extremely mad! He had no idea how most of us, esp. me, hate him and his stupid lectures! I finally pass the course with the skin of my teeth! That's another story which is really funny but can't recall all!
The medical student is a physician today but running a medical equipment small business with his father! No job for physicians over there unless they go to towns and villages.
As it's a nice song I decided to have it here after almost 17 years and listen to it again. But this time I also figured what they say. Here's what the singer sings:

When I look back upon my life
It's always with a sense of shame
I've always been the one to blame
For everything I long to do
No matter when or where or who
Has one thing in common, too
It's a, it's a, it's a, it's a sin
It's a sin

Everything I've ever done
Everything I ever do
Every place I've ever been
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed
For everything I long to do
No matter when or where or who
Has one thing in common, too
It's a, it's a, it's a, it's a sin
It's a sin

Father, forgive me, I tried not to do it
Turned over a new leaf, then tore right through it
Whatever you taught me, I didn't believe it
Father, you fought me, 'cause I didn't care
And I still don't understand
...
(Photo: Pet Shop Boys comprises a vocalist and a keyboard player and was formed in 1981 in London, England)

No comments: