Saturday, July 14, 2007

Howe Sound

I had a little ride on Thu. evening. I went to Howe Sound. That’s marvellous. The world Sound has different meanings in English. Apparently I’m not writing this for the people whom the language is their mother tongue but one of the Sound’s meanings is a long, wide body of water, larger than a strait or a channel, connecting larger bodies of water. In another word you may use the term Sound instead of inlet. Being safe and free from defect and also the most popular and spoken one a distinctive noise are the other meaning of the word.
But the one I’m talking about right now is the first one. Howe Sound is practically Squamish’s water terminal. The only log sorting mill in the town is located there and the log boats load the trunks in there. I don’t think the terminal is used for the other commercial purposes though. The district of Squamish has a development plan for this part of the town. As there’s a cool and kind of permanent wind in the Sound, it’s a perfect place for wind surfing. And also a trial has been built around the oceanfront which I took last Thu. and enjoyed the cool breathe, the ease and beauty of nature and everything. Unfortunately I couldn’t find my way to the point that the wind sports are performed but will try that one another time soon. CN Rail has also a station in Howe Sound and I believe residential properties are coming as a part of the development plan, although I’m not sure about that yet.
So if you want to have a nice ride in a quiet and easy trail while a cool breathe is creasing your body and also if you want to see the beauty of Squamish, including the Chief Stawamous, Shannon Falls, the oceanfront and do wind sports, it’s a perfect place for all of that.
(Photo: Chief Stawamous the almost 700 m. height rock who looks at the town is seen here from the inlet. Abandoned all logging equipment is seen at the other bank)

No comments: