Monday, August 21, 2006

Staff Shortage

I went to the McDonald’s nearby yesterday afternoon to get a cup of coffee and the lobby was closed! There was a note on the door indicating that the closure is due to staff shortage! You could only get food from drive thru. Same thing in the Burger King next door. They used to run the business from 08:00 AM to 11:00 PM. Now it’s only till 05:00 PM and food is served just if you order it in drive thru!
When I was at D. H.’s in the evening he told me Subway, McDonald’s and food businesses like that pay $18 to $25 per hour to the employees up in Fort McMurray. So people who work here, rather working up there and make big bucks! Fort McMurray is the base for all Oil Sand projects in Alberta and attracting thousands of people from all around the world and Canada. He said that I have to start a business soon up there. He said that a Pizza business makes lots of money in a short time or I should try any other thing in that booming town. I even can work on a rig, he said. But I’m not sure if I wanna do that. I’ll drive up there to give it a check though. Fort McMurray is 3 hours up north Edmonton. So it’ll be more than 6 hours drive from Calgary.

No comments: