Tuesday, March 15, 2016

How to Ruin a Salmon?

After skipping the previous weekend's dinner or lunch together, I went to The Chef's this past weekend when he called. When got there he said we could cook there instead of going to my place. Fine by me. We went to a nearby Superstore to get some Salmon. His plan was to stuff it with herbs and bake it in the oven. I'm not a fan of oven baked fish because it becomes sloppy. I like it fried with Olive Oil in a pan or breaded or both at the same time but didn't argue that because that's what he was insisting on. We got a bunch or Cilantro  and at home he mixed them with Onion, Garlic and Turmeric and fried them in Olive Oil. Then rubbed more Olive Oil, Turmeric and Sea Salt on the fish, added a few pieces of chopped Ginger (I had not seen anybody doing that. I have always seen it being added grated), made a few cuts on the fish and put it in the oven after stuffing it with the mixture. 
This is how the fish looked like when brought out of the oven. It looks fine but the inside tells a different story. I forget to say in the post that we wrapped the whole try in aluminum foil. 
He was drinking Red Wine at the time and having a good time. It's always good to be around The Chef, maybe not always, but most of the time! I was a bit hungry so I ate a small bowl of salad that we also bought and we waited for 25 minutes. I forgot to say that he spread a whole bunch of Red Pepper, I guess it was, on the fish before putting it in the oven! So you can imagine how it would taste when it comes out of the oven. 
This picture shows how pink the meat is. This is almost under-cooked and honestly I don't know who would eat that although I've heard that many eat raw meat of different kind which I have read that could lead to different diseases. The liquid you see in the tray is a mixture of Olive Oil left from baking and the squeezed Lime after it was taken out and put on the table. 
I ate a few spoons of Balkan Style Yogurt until it was the time to take the fish out. When I put it on the table it looked very good. I tasted the mixture and it burned my throat and I had to take a spoon of that yogurt but that was not very bad. It was a big fish and I guess would have been enough for 4 to 5 people. So The Chef decided to cut it to half and asked me to take one half home for the week. I didn't want to but didn't argue. When I reached the center of the fish with my fork, I realized that it was not completely cooked, it looked like! It was a bit of surprise because unlike Beef, Salmon and generally fish cooks very fast. The Chef said that it was fine. I was already full after that salad and yogurt and seeing the very pink Salmon, killed my appetite! Then he squeezed 1 big Lime on the fish and despite me saying that it was tasty enough added a bit of salt too! So the Salmon which already was ruined, looked really bad and almost disgusting! He then indicated that he was not very hungry either! I don't know it was because of the damn wine or the breakfast he had but it was 17:30! I took a few bites and tried o convince myself that was good but couldn't eat more and told him that I was full. If he had fried the fish a pan, it would have not happened but he doesn't listen. I brought a big piece at home and said to myself that I would fry it before I eat and I only eat when I'm very hungry because juts a little piece of Salmon could be very filling. 
(Photo, top: The fish is stuffed and ready to go to the oven. I don't even remember what temperature e used. I don't think he knew that himself!) 

No comments: