Monday, December 19, 2016

An Exam for a Ministry Position

The job market, they say, is getting better. I've seen positions and applied for a number but hasn't gotten a good response yet. Maybe my chance comes up when everyone else is hired! For that reason and as usual, I apply for jobs outside my field of study, education and experience. There was a job a few weeks ago through the provincial government which sounded good to me. In fact most of government jobs are good. I received an invitation to write a 1-hour examination for that and I accepted, of course. Then I received a telephone call from a lady in that organization asking me if I had any questions! That's wonderful. She then told me that there would be an information session coming up and gave me the number for the location to sign up. I did and went there. There were a number of very polite and nice guys there who explained different things and answered questions. Their Sergeant was a 26-year-old fella. Imagine working under the supervision of someone who is many years younger than you! I have no problem, absolutely no problem with that as long as the person is not an asshole! 
Anyways I headed to the examination venue on the specified date and it was some -21 ℃ but I managed to get myself there on time. To my surprise almost 90% of examinees were sited. The funny thing was that four people were sitting at a small table, something similar to restaurant's booth but smaller! I remember once in B. C. I wrote an exam for a provincial job and we were sitting very close to each other, shoulder to shoulder. I was able to see what the person in front of me was writing but I didn't care. I just wanted to answer the questions and get the hell back to The Lady. It was not a very hard examination but required some attention and knowledge. Would I pass? I don't know and I don't know what the passing mark is but similar to any government job there are 8 major steps and then when you're hired you could be sent to any corner of the province which is completely fine by me. I'm looking for an excuse to leave Calgary! The other funny thing is that there's a 1 year probationary period for this job which again is expected. That of course comes after passing the 14-week training. We'll see. 

No comments: