Sunday, April 18, 2021

Body of Lies, Another Good Movie

There was a load of rumors and bunch of news a few years ago about an Iranian actress who had been banned from acting in the country because she had a role in an American movie. The actress was Golshifteh Farahani and the movie was Body of Lies. I had the chance to see the movie a few days ago and I have to say I was impressed. It's not because an Iranian actress has a role. Her role is actually a minor one and she performs well. The story is interesting and well-written. I, honestly, had difficulty following and had to resort to the plot provided on the web!
I didn't Farahani back in the old country perhaps because she was too young. I guess she earned her fame in late 2000's and mostly when she left Iran and settled down in France. I've read that she has also performed in a Satrapi's movie called Chicken with Plums but I haven't seen it.
The story, without going to the detail, is about the safety in Iraq and Europe after the 2003 US led invasion of Iraq which led to the arrest, trail and execution of Saddam Hussein and an unstable Iraq! So if someone is not interested in such story, better to avoid the movie unless he's a L. DeCaprio and R. Crow fan! 
(Photo: Golshifteh and DeCaprio in a scene of the movie. They're dating in Amman, the capital of Jordan, the western neighbour of Iraq, where Golshifteh lives and works as a nurse. Everyone around is looking at them as it's rare to date a man, particularly a Caucasian in a male-dominated, restricted, Islamic society)

No comments: