Tuesday, September 8

Big Spring Hill Provincial Park: What a Waste!

I decided to go and see this park at the north west side of Calgary, outside the city limits, of course and close to the town of Cochrane, this past long weekend. What a mistake! I'm not too far so I got myself on Highway #567 and turned left at a sign, toward the south before reaching that town. I find myself in a quite large parking lot after a few minutes of driving. A few vehicles were parked there despite the weather being cloudy and rainy. I parked and looked around. Not many signs. I took a green path more towards the south side of the park. O-O! I didn't go into the castle as I was not playing chess(!) it was the end of the path. Barbed wire and sign saying it was a protected area. Okay. I understand. That's how it should be or it will be ruined like Banff National Park has been. 
I then went to the other end of the park, the north side and a sign over there says you can go up a short trail to a lookout. I took that. It passes by a nice waterfall and a few small bridges and then in 5 minutes you're there! You not only have reached the lookout but also the end of the damn park! Isn't this brilliant?! A park where you can go from one end to another in less than 15 minutes!! What a waste of money and of course resource: A paved road, parking lot, bathroom facilities, signs, stairs and small foot bridges all for people to be able to walk for 15 freaking minutes! 
I don't know what these guys of the Provincial Government were thinking! I don't think they were thinking at all! My guess is they either had some budget to blow or there was a dispute between the ranchers and lot owners in the area and in order to permanently settle that they said: Hey! This land, this little piece of sh*t land belongs to none of you. We're going to blow thousands of dollars and make it a park that people are only expected to spend 15 minutes of their visiting time in it! 
There are many parks in and outside The City of Calgary, beautiful and lovely parks which I never tired of going to. This, however, is a silly joke and a stupid mistake. I will never burn fuel to get there again. What a stupid waste. 
(Photo: This entire area to those hills are a protected area and separated from the park boundary using barbed wire and signs which is the right thing to do but the government of Alberta did not have to spend thousands of dollars on the facilities of the 15-minute long park!)

No comments: