Saturday, March 26, 2022

Moore is not Right this Time

I like most of Michael Moore movies. Fahrenheit 9/11 is my all time favorite. I first watched it in a theater years ago when just came out and then bought the DVD. I like it despite the fact that I admire George W. Bush for what what he did in Iraq. I don't wanna go there because it was 19 years ago. Bowling for Columbine which discusses the gun violence issue in the US is another favorite of mine. The best part, in my opinion, is when Charleston Heston walks out during the interview! Sicko, I couldn't see it! For me it's too intense! I can't see medical procedures and stuff of that nature. Capitalism: A Love Story is good. I totally understand that although some of the people shown in the film and were interviewed looked irresponsible and careless! I don't totally blame them for what happened, though. Watched Fahrenheit 11/9 in a theater when it came out first but need to watch it again, although I don't like Biden!
The last movie of him that I've watched is Where to Invade Next? From the title, first, it sounded to me that he is criticizing the US's foreign policy since they have the intention of putting their noses in  many country's affairs by simply using military force. It is not that. Moore, in this documentary, travels to different countries, mostly in Europe, to see the ways they administer different aspects of their societies such as education, judicial system, food, etc. Then he indicates that, for example, this country's approach to corrections (for inmates) is effective and should be adopted in the US

Wrong! 

I'm surprised that he doesn't understand that every society is made for a way of management. Or he is aware of that and just wanted to make a new movie! Beside that what should be considered is a transition or gradual change. Any attempt to alter or change something overnight, would lead to a disaster.
Take the recent Corona-Virus pandemic around the world. All the masking, social distancing and vaccination, although was not mandated overnight and introduced gradually, as the death toll rose, it made problems within societies. If you want, for example, adopt the way prisoners are treated in Norway, the way it's shown in the movie, in any of the correctional facilities in the US, I don't think it would work!
Consider the people who come to Canada from all different corners of the world, as either refugees or immigrants. The majority of them have very limited change in their behaviour, their eating habits and beliefs. When I lived in Squamish, British Columbia, shortly, back in 2006, there were a bunch of Punjabi Sikh people in the town, as there're many of them in British Columbia, mainly Surrey. They had a community of their own, apart from the rest of the town, where they all lived. They mostly and unless they had to, and that is everywhere in Canada, never interacted with anyone else, ate anything rather their own cuisines and basically did anything that they didn't do back in India, even after years of living in Canada! This mean the change of food, culture, way of dressing, you name it, barely was and still is on these people, even after years. So is with other people from other backgrounds. 
Perhaps Moore would make another documentary to show how he adopted the other ways of running a country to the US!  
(Photo: Moore is sitting with school children in an European country while making the documentary and discussing the different aspects of their daily eating)

No comments: