Friday, August 04, 2023

Hot Water instead of Tea!

The widespread of Internet in the past 20 years or so have had many negative affects on people's lives but that's what the Corporate West wants! (If you do not know what the term Corporate West mean, let me know and I will explain it to you!) This way they reduce their cost. Look at the banks: Many of the branches are closed now and they continuously ask you to use banking App. Not even online banking! They want to close done all of the malls, restaurants and movie theaters so people do their shopping online, order their food online and eat at home and watch their favorite movies or series while sitting at home and streaming. I do not do any of the above, not because I dislike the internet. I don't eat at 95% of the restaurants and I'm not a person who enjoys buying the things they don't need! But the whole internet thing has a negative effect on me this way:  I used to read a lot but know I spent a whole awful lot of time on the net reading and watching nonsense materials, mostly! And compare the the majority of the population, particularly the young, I spent a lot less! 
With that in mind, one of the great books that I read years ago and I've written about it once is Dragon Seed. I remember it was a gloomy January evening and we, the family, all were out and my Dad bought the book for my birthday. You might be surprised as why it was such a lame birthday party but you have to understand the fact that, first of all we were in the old country and unlike today, birthday parties were not as common. Secondly, those were the war days and while I was only a kid, only now I can imagine the hardship that parents had to go to provide everything to their kids despite the fact that both of my parents were working and they had good jobs. So I read the book and enjoyed what Pearl Buck has written but what it has to bring up here is the fact that she was saying the fact that the Chinese as a result of the devastating war had to cut back even on the most basic necessities of their lives. She narrates in her book how some Chinese had to drink hot water instead tea to save even more, in their daily lives the concept that now is applicable to many Canadians these days due to the high cost of living. It is worse for me because I live on E. I. now and I hardly spend between the two pays. I'm very careful as all these expenses pile up at the end of each months and in between. I've had one face-to-face interview, one phone screening, one e-mail regarding an application and one evaluation exam and none has led to anything! For that I have to keep drinking hot water instead of tea, metaphorically, until things get better. 
(Photo: This post would not be completed without a picture that somehow relates to Pearl S. Buck. This house in West Virginia is her birthplace, which, I hope, has been preserved to this day and I hope it will stand forever. What a great novelist)

No comments: