Sunday, February 18, 2024

The Machinist

I'm aiming at two topics in this post a movie called The Machinist which I watched a few months ago and a machinist who works for the same company as I do. I was working on a part late one afternoon when everyone leaves and this guy approaches me and starts a conversation. Lonely people always try to find a time to have a conversation with others. That's how they feel their void. I do that to but I've always have been a chatty person and at times it had gotten me into trouble!
So here he is and somehow the conversation is directed to where we live. He says that he lives alone in a 2-bedroom bungalow or something and pays $1600 a months! He adds that he would like soon to get a dog and if he did, he would go check on it everyday at lunch break! That distance is nearly 50 KM (31 miles), both ways! Listening to that, I realized why some have difficulty managing their finances. That big bucks for rent and the amount of money you have to pay for your pay is not just a joke. Then he goes and adds that he does not like to wake up next to someone that would cause problem for him now and then, indicating that he has no wife or girlfriend but he does add that he likes, simply (I quote!), to find someone out of Leolist! I told him about the actual (documentary) sting operations that I had seen a couple of weeks earlier. It was these guys who make an appointment with prostitutes, in the US, I think, and when they go to the place, the door is opened and they see law enforcement officers waiting to interrogate them! I also added that the concept of prostitution is why many go to Thailand and Vietnam, every year.  He goes: You don't know what you're getting there! And my response is: It doesn't matter to the person who goes there! I was a bit surprised that someone admits that they would rather hang out with prostitutes rather than having a healthy relationship, particularly a Caucasian because I believe it's much easier for the people of here to find a mate in comparison to someone like me who is a complete loser in that department! I I didn't have a abrupt reaction to that, though! I showed that I was busy with work and he realized that it was the time for him to leave, and he did! 
We're now moving to the story of the movie, a strange one, called The Machinist. This is a weird movie staring Christian Bale, as the main character, a few other good actors and actresses and Michael Ironside. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it but it's not a very pleasant one to watch, with some disturbing scenes and kind of complicated to understand what the story is telling you! The guy, the main character is as weird as the machinist whom I referred to above, a bit, not much: Single, likes to spend his money on prostitutes, lives in a rental, have the same job and eventually gets himself into a horrific trouble, which I hope will not happen to this fella at work!
(Photo: Bale's character, on left, is trying to help Ironside's, center, during a work accident, in a scene from the film)

No comments: