Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sea to Sky

I went to North Vancouver to renew the insurance of the van today in the afternoon of Mon. I could to that anywhere in Squamish but A. J. said that he wanted it done with the same company which does his all insurance needs.
So I went there and they sent me to the ICBC, three streets down, close to the water front. Happily, for A. J., I got a 10% discount based on my insurance history of Alberta. Then I drove all the way to Coquitlam to meet with Dr. S. and consult him about graduate studies (That`s a different story) when I was on my way back to Squamish it was late and Kiewit crew, the company who is the major contractor for the Sea to Sky Highway were working and they stopped all the vehicles in two spots, the second one in Britannia Beach (will be another post soon!)
Sea to Sky Highway is connecting the lower mainland to Whistler, where the 2010 Winter Olympic Games will be held. Scheduled to be completed in fall ’09, the highway starts from the district of West Vancouver. So in order to be able to be on time and deliver the quality project, Kiewit crew sometimes work during night as well. For example the highway is usually closed between Lions Bays and Squamish from 03:00 AM to 05:00 AM. Connecting Vancouver International Airport to the Sky Train line is another project which estimated B $2. I will write about that later but what I know is SNC Lavalin is one of the major contractors of the project.
(Photo: Abandoned Kiewit machines in Sea to Sky Highway. Some other crew are working at the other spots of the project. A flashing light of a pick up truck is seen in the back)

No comments: