Thursday, April 26, 2018

Mi Amigo (My friend)

I finally got together with this guy, a Hispanic fella, who used to live in the same dump(!) that I'm currently living, after a long time. I call him Amigo here which, as many know, means friend in Spanish and is a common term to refer to people from South America here in North America! 
We went to Jameson's Irish Bar on 17th Ave., SW, based on his, I would say, request. That was my first time in there. From the beginning you could say that it was a nice and clean bar which offers both a little outdoor area, stools, tables and booth. My favourite, is always booth and when I entered he was waiting for me there. There are so many things about this fella which are all strange to me. That's probably why I'm staying friends with him. Before getting to the bar and the odd things about this guy, I would like to mention that I once decided to eliminate him from my life! I deleted his telephone number from my address book, removed him from my connections in LinkedIn and even ignored his calls. Then I remembered what my Dad told me years ago: " One thousand friends is not too many, one enemy is more than enough ". I have not been able to stick to this policy in the past few years very restrictively but I've tried my best. This is the literal translation from Persian which I'm sure makes not much sense to Westerners. He also used to say " You say Hi to someone and there'll be thousands of benefits ". He didn't, of course, mean financial benefits or what they call it here " friends with benefits "! What he meant was in regards to knowledge, behaviour and social interaction, of course.
Going back to the main subject, the bar is clean and nice with mostly pretty waitresses and of course male bartender(s). When I arrived this idiot had a glass of beer in front of him and without offering anything sat there like an asshole and started the conversation. I should mention that he, when I approached, stood and opened his arms and gave me a hug(!), something that a Caucasian guy and even an Iranian guy would not do unless the latter is a very close friend whom has not seen you for years! 
I joined and a waitress appeared at the table. I asked for a Beer and asked her if they had anything with a little sweetness to it. She named a few and I ordered a Raspberry Beer. This fool then ordered a plate of Pork Tacos and when it arrived started eating like an African who has recently fled drought and famine in the continent and didn't even offer me shit! I told myself what a disgusting fool but didn't say anything to the dolt! I understand the difference between cultures. The Beer, nevertheless was good. When the pig(!) finished his meal, and believe me he was eating like a pig! pieces and liquid was falling from its(!) mouth while chewing. Then the waitress showed up again. She asked if we wanted something else. I usually don't eat outside but it's a business. Not a freaking public library. So I ordered the second Beer of the same kind and the fool ordered a glass of water! Here if you have at least a few live cells in your brain, you know that you shouldn't drink a big glass of water, like a Mule does after a hard working day(!), when you finish your food because the water simply dilutes the stomach's acid and messes up your digestion but I guess if you're a fool, then you'll act like a Mule! The second Beer was good and got into me. I could order a few more but these days I'm watching my pocket. We talked a little bit more and then we left. 
I would go to this bar if any opportunity presents itself. Their Beer is good. The place is nice and clean and it has a convenient location. I don't know how much that f**king idiot paid for his Tacos but my two Beers cost me nearly $13 and of course I paid her $15.
Now a few things about this guy whom I found him strange. I must add that I would not reveal his nationality as it's my policy on this web-log to provide as less information as possible about my subjects. Not that anyone cares!:
1) He's marries to a Caucasian girl from northern Europe. I haven't seen the girl though. I'm not going to reveal the girl's nationality but by giving this tip you'd be probably figuring it out, if you're interested. According to Mom (as she knows him) they're good matches because she's coming from a background, no offence to anyone, which the people are known as cheap, for centuries!
2) He invited me to his apartment just after perhaps one or two meetings once nearly two years ago. Apparently it was supposed to be a small party with a friend of his whom was moving out of the province. I ditched the party and made an excuse! I'm not going to anyone's party just after meeting him or her once or twice! That's insane! 
3) He gives me a hug every time he sees me! I know I mentioned that above but what the hell does that mean! I know he's not homosexual and he know neither I am! 
4) This guy is young but he's been to many places that when I was his age, I only could dream of that! He's coming from obviously a not rich family. So how he has done that, I have no clue! By living cheap and saving money, perhaps! Every time I've seen him he has dressed like a hobo who has just been given used cloths from a charity! He indicated that they (he and his wife) have a plan to go to either Central America or Europe this summer for vacation! I can only dream of something like that! I guess that's his wife who is the breadwinner because I know that he hasn't been working for a long time and studies at the moment.
5) I don't know about his education but I know, as he's told me, he is working on his Masters. The field of study that he has selected is interesting: Religion! The funny thing is, and I hope I didn't misheard that, he said he was not religious! I mean he has told me that he's Catholic but not one who regularly practises! I have to find out about this!
6) I've said everything odd and stupid (in my view) about this guy and now one good thing which I should not ignore: He helped me with my car when I was in Quebec last summer and he's very friendly and polite but it's his cheapness and stinginess which bothers me. Mom appreciated his help with food. Something which based on his reaction, when Mom gave him the food, had not been tasted by him and his wife in their entire life: Once Olivier Salad and the other time Beef Cutlet. They both tatsed so good to them that he mentions that every time he sees me.
(Photo: This is a very delicious Taco that The Lady made once and we both enjoyed. I believed despite a few differences that every couple has, we generally had a good life and it was getting better until I lost my job. She left me shortly after that and then decided not to live with me any more. This is a completely different story that I don't think anyone would like to say or hear that. I miss her so much at times and feel free and released at others! It's such a mixed feeling. I think she has or at least had similar feelings)

No comments: