Thursday, November 24, 2022

Visiting Las Vegas (1)

My plan was to change my flight to sometime earlier but when I checked the website, there was nothing available. Living less than 15 minutes from YYC (you to judge me however you want!) I relaxed in the afternoon and around 17:00 I decided to head out. Bad mistake! There was an incident on the highway, and I first panicked! Then I said to myself that even if I reached there 45 freaking minutes from the flight, I'd be fine. The congestion was cleared after nearly 10 minutes, and I was at the airport shortly after that. That, then, I should say, was the easiest entry to the US for me! There was only one lady at CBP counter, and I spent there as much as 10 seconds! 
The flight was alright. I guess what the airliners, and specifically WestJet, do is they make the flight comfortable to Las Vegas to encourage people to go there more often! I remember my flight to Houston last year and I didn't have the leg room that I had on my flight to Las Vegas! And it was just not this year. It also was the last time I was there, 2019
Alphonse picked me up at LAS shortly after I had landed, and I have to mention that my phone died immediately after the plane touched down! The telephone didn't die. It was the damn service, which there's no point to discuss it here. I got connected to the airports Wi-Fi and called Alphonse! Finding him took only 10 minutes and we drove to Conrad Hilton where he had booked our room. 
I quickly left my items inside and went out to have a look around while we had time. 
I don't remember how much they charged at Urth Caffe for this piece of cake but that was not bad. I only regret that I forgot to eat the flower, I think! 
I had thought the weather be kind of warm, but I had closed my eyes to one fact: We were in the middle of the desert. The good thing is I had my jacket on. We were looking for a good place to eat but to our surprise every good restaurant, which I had read their review, was closed! McDonald's, Deney's and so-called Mexican place were open around the hotel. We tried, the last two! Or perhaps it's correct to say that we tried Deney's, and I tried Tacos El Gordo, a cheap and subpar place! Cheap not in terms of price but the value of what you pay for! The place was full of mostly Latinos and I'm sure that there were happy. I just wanted to see how the food tastes. Alphonse was smart and skipped it! I regretted that later! 
My first plan the next morning was to avoid the mistake we had made the night before. Alphonse wanted to eat in one of the restaurants of the hotel but I asked one of the hotel's staff and she was nice enough to lead us to Urth Caffe! It was a busy place but worth waiting a few minutes. I've gotta say it's a very nice cafe and if you're late forget about having a comfortable table! No wonder why there's no sign outside the building! These guys need no sign and no advertisement. Their service speaks for itself and once you're there, you can't go for something lower than that. I asked for refill as their coffee is really good and they filled it for me twice! 
(Photo: Conrad Hilton on Las Vegas Boulevard when I and Alphonse spent a night, not together[!] of course. I'm not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Nice Hotel)

No comments: