Friday, July 21, 2023

Chana Masala (Chickpea, Indian Style)

The only cuisine, in general, which I enjoy as much as I do Iranian (as long as I go easy on it because it has a quite amount of carbohydrate in different shapes and lots of meat), is Indian (or as it would be said in North America, East Indian!). Some foods of some countries I never touch again after I tried them one because there's no nutrition, no creativity, no effort and no taste. I never waste a Penny on many but I don't wanna mention even one as some people take offence. Regular food that these days you can find them in every country, as long as they're made good, I eat or I make myself: Pasta, Pizza, Hamburger, Pork Chop, Stake, you name it, in moderation of course and 99% only if I or someone whom I trust has made it!  
With that said, making Indian dishes are not tough but in order to make them right, you need lots of different spices and herbs and someone who constantly cooks Indian, buys them. I can't! Rather than not being sanitary, which is their problem and I can simply avoid, unlike Iranians, and this is the part that I like a lot, they barely eat raw vegetables and fruits. I have tried a few dishes of them and the result was not bad but I did something funny last week, which I'd like to write it here. I had Mom over for lunch so I said I'm going to impress her with some good Indian food: Chana Masala. Iranians eat legumes and beans but not as much as Indians and it's usually an ingredient. For Example the excellent Herbs Stew which is called Ghormeh Sabzi uses Kidney Beans. Chickpea (or Chana as it's called in Hindi) is used in different kind of Aash (thick Iranian soup) and Ab-Goosht (Iranian Beef Soup), Back to the story what I did was I bought a pack of mixed herbs/spices (Shan brand) and decided to make Chickpea, Indian Style. I usually follow the recipe carefully. 
This post cannot be completed without a picture of scrumptious Ghormeh Sabzi. It's recipe is available in thousands in the web but it's not easy to make it. 
Not this time, although it's extremely easy: Sock 1 cup Chickpea for 3 to 4 hours, pour them in a pot (I use pressure cooker), add 8 cups of water and the content of the pack and simply cook. I didn't read what they have recommended for the amount of the spices and added the whole pack! The result was unbearable! It was so hot that you would cough immediately after a teaspoon! I didn't realize that until the next day I went to the box and read that only three teaspoons were needed! I was under the impression that since Indians like their food very spicy, that's how it is! 
Now I've bought another pack and will make it right! 
(Photo, top: Chana Masala spices mix pack, Shan brand. Most of the Indians mix them items themsleves, it is healthier and probably less expensive, as well)

No comments: