Saturday, December 09, 2023

The Week-long Course

Just came back home after a miserable week in a hotel, near a training center. The course was not bad and learnt plenty but the living condition was awful, except for a ting bit. Stayed in the same hotel and despite the fact that it's generally quite and clean, the damn mattress was killing me! The first first four days had difficulty sleeping which certainly affected my learning abilities. Adding to that is the garbage food all around. Fortunately for a few times I managed to find a nearby Safeway and get fruits and better food. Breakfast was mostly eliminated, completely. We had a couple of day going to the lab and that was were I learnt a lot and for it, I appreciate the institute. The instructor this time was a young East Asian fella who was very nice, polite, patient and helpful. Although he was not as knowledgeable as it is expected but I believe he did his best. BigHead felt less stressful and showed more confidence and I pulled my revenge on him but he didn't seem to be bothered a lot! He said that he had used his car service which is as convenient as I would have picked him up! On the way back he did the same thing and I went for a bit of shopping after telling him I was going to Edmonton! 
This class also had much brighter students. The majority of them had long overseas experience and education in the subject and they were there just to be re-certified. My employer does not want us to be certified nationally. This course was just learning purposes and being able to be certified internally so we can do the tests. However I do not know who would sign the reports because we would technically be allowed to do that.
We also tried to food businesses in the nearby neighbourhoods for the first time and the experiences were not so great: Edo Japan, which has been the worst fast-food joint that I've ever set foot on, at the same level of McDonald's and Fat Burger which is not as bad but still full of trans fats, sugar and all other harmful substances for your body. The funny thing is the second fast-food joint asks you to tip the staff simply because they walk 7 steps to put a small plate of food on your table! You can refer to the full review of my experiences with these two joints in Google Maps, near the training center. 
Another good part of the trip, in addition to what I learnt and I would like to stress that it was a good learning experience, was the ability to shop near YEG. There're lots of nice stores and it was very convenient for me to by what I wanted on my way back home. It's recommended to see the place called Premium Outlet Collection when you're in the region. 
(Photo: A Fat Burger meal. It's a Mushroom hamburger, I think and Sweet Potato Fries with an awful dip! I think I added a shake, which did not taste anything but sugar and the total cost was nearly $27 and some change, approximately! Adding tip! And taxes, of course!)

No comments: