Sunday, October 13, 2024

Out after 10 Years (11): Coffee in Japan

I didn't know I could find coffee in Japan to that extent. Tea has always been the popular drink in eastern culture: From western Asia, all the way to eastern part of the continent. Now the disgusting Starbucks and McDonald's, both, have branches all over Japan! The prices are ridicules, and the taste is awful, but people go there! 
Coffee has been part of my life for nearly 20 years now. I actually drink too much, at times, but I've recently reduced it to two cups a day and only add 3.25% Milk and most of the time, organic. So, wanting good coffee is natural for me. I buy roasted coffee bean, grind them with a burr mill and brew that. I also bought a good Espresso Maker, but that machine requires patient and precision to produce a good result! So, it's not used very often! 
A coffee at the first hotel that I stay, in Tokyo. I didn't see any difference between the two coffees they offer here and the espresso! Didn't even bother trying the tea! The amount of coffee is seen in the cup and usually is not much more than this anywhere else! 
With that said, I barely found a good coffee in Japan. Their coffee is very strong and there's no milk available and cream is fake, tasteless! A small (which they call it large!) cup of coffee goes for CAN $ 4 and tastes bad, most of the time. I tried one of the major Japanese coffee chains, Dotour and it was not good. A very small piece of pie for CAN $4 and small (large in their view!) same price! So, your coffee and pie will cost you nearly CAN $9 and is mediocre! The cafe is nice, and the people are very nice and helpful as well. They have tried to make really hard to make a nice environment similar to Western cafes, but space is limited in Japan and probably very expensive too! There's no doubt that the Japanese eating culture is way different from the Western's and even mine. That's probably why I didn't enjoy eating and drinking out. In fact, rather than a few times that I went for coffee and breakfast, and I almost got disappointed(!), I never ate out.
(Photo, top: Pies for Japanese people's size! You see the prices. Every Canadian dollar at the time was nearly ¥ 106, at the time)

No comments: