Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Out after 10 Years (13): Japanese are Horrible in English!

It's hard and time-consuming to find the source which accurately says how much Japan made from visitors in the past year, but I can say for sure that is bouncing back from the Covid-19 area. I remember reading the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website regarding tourists just a couple of years back and it was way after Covid had been considered under control. Visiting was still not allowed. Now I think they can benefit from tourism although over-tourism is what they call it and complain about. One of my plans was to climb Mt. Fuji but I acted late and lost the opportunity to register. I guess I will have to go the next time, if there will be a next time!
With that said, what I still don't understand the inability of speaking English within the Japanese society. I always had a problem communicating with people, even the one who spoke English! They never understood what my intention was and that was really frustrating! 
An old taxi driver in Hiroshima took me to the wrong hotel first despite the fact that I bought pronounce the name and showed him the map on the phone. A hotel receptionist who spoke English barely understood what I meant! So, if you're planning to travel to Japan try to plan in a way that requires minimum human contact or you would be lost, tired and upset! 
(Photo: I got screwed by this old foolish taxi driver in Hiroshima! What I did on my way back to the station to continue my trip? I walked!)

No comments: