The price of gasoline went up again yesterday and remained the same today! It was after a sharp drop. That is why it's called roller coaster. With that in mind, I thought I do a little, simple calculation to see how the ones who drive an EV, enjoy it. However, I need to mention the concept of battery depreciation, something that EV owners cannot close their eyes to it.
My story is a little bit different. I drive a Hybrid-Electric which has less dependency on the charge. I have been able to charge it at work, most of the time, free of charge. I haven't heard anything from HR but I guess when I hear it would be the day that they ask me to leave and never come back!
Apart from that I wanted to do a little calculation to how it actually looks. The data is based on Toyota App. This system record all the details: Where the charging took place, the date, the hours and most importantly, the amount of energy extracted in Kwh. Here is an example:
The Battery was at 0% and went up to 89% in less than 9 hours, or to be exact 8 h. and 57 m. and 19 sec.! Keep in mind that it is a small battery. Not like Tesla's. It extracted 9.167 kwh of energy. This amount of energy combined with just a few drop of gasoline is enough for a reliable and enjoyable drive of nearly 70 km (43 miles). It will cost $0.104900 x 9.167 = $0.96!
It seems pretty attractive to have an EV. Does it not? Especially now that the prices are coming down but you also have to remember that many of these cars are simply Compliance Vehicles meaning that they just are a cheap copy of the originals big brand luxury EVs and the pathetic companies have to make them to be able to comply with the governments' rules which mandates them not to make internal combustion vehicles after a certain year.
It is said that if you drive them well, perhaps meaning not accelerating suddenly, do not expose them to extreme cold or heat and consider some other factors, they will last up to 10 years. What do you need to do after that? You must consider the battery changed or the vehicle is only good as a carriage which needs a couple of good horses! All the money that you have saved in the past 10 years now is going to be spent on a new battery! What have you gotten, then? Just comfort and the joy of driving the EV. The question is was it worth it? You also can buy solar panels and make your charging free after a few years but as these panels normally last 30 years. The final verdict is buy a good EV, if you can afford it. Enjoy driving it, enjoy its luxury and then who knows what happens in 10 years?!
(Photo, top: The Toyota App gives you lots of options as well as interesting data about your vehicle)


No comments:
Post a Comment