Thursday, October 22, 2015

Is EI Helpful or not?

I received this letter from Service Canada just a few days back indicting that I would not be eligible for EI until March next year! This was, according to them, due to the money the company has deposited into my account as a final pay! So I am on my own for the next 5 months! Nov., Dec. and Jan. are not hiring months unless you want to work temporary part-time, Christmas related jobs in retail and delivery. I just had a call yesterday in response to a delivery job I had applied from one of the major delivery companies in the continent. They wanted me to sign a contract up until 24th of Dec. for a part time job of 5 hours a day, I guess 5 or 6 days a week and the job would start before noon and finish in the afternoon! I really don't know who would want to do that. Not simply because it is a part-time temporary position. Because the timing sucks! Students cannot do that. The one who have full-time but underpaid jobs can't do that. The only person who could do that would be someone who lives in a household of 4 or 5 and has no source of income and is not worried for his rent and other expenses and trying to make a few hundred bucks to the end of the year! It's really getting tougher day by day. 
(Photo: Service Canada section has shrunk significantly compare to the last time I was there. Generally all sections of the Government have faced the same. The Government has slashed so many jobs making it harder for people to make ends meet. It's not the same country that I came to and will be more changes!)

No comments: