Sunday, April 16, 2023

Canadian Experience

When I first started career haunting, I was so naive about Canadian job market and made multiple mistakes which cost me thousands of dollar from the lost salaries which I could have made, had I gotten the positions. Is it something to ponder about now?! No! Just learn from the past mistakes and prevent them although I would've totally been in a different situation, had I found a proper position years ago. 
One of the nonsense I was told when they would turn me down was that " I had no Canadian experience "! Apart from the fact that you would never gain Canadian experience before you actually work in Canada (Egg or Chicken?! Which one was the first?), I found this an absolute bullshit, now that I have been working on different projects for years! 
Five people, all with Canadian experience, four Caucasians and one Caribbean, have been asked to leave their positions in less than 8 months that I have been working for this company! Four of them were Canadian born and educated! Canadian experience my ass!  
The first one was the Tout Lover whom I have told his story already. Then it was the P. M. and the other three were not very different. B. C. (I'm using his initials) was a so-called " Director " who spent most of his time at the site doing light labour work instead of being in his office. I had been told by a few guys that not many people liked him and he either resigned or was asked to leave by the managers! He always was nice, helpful and friendly to me. I can't tell why that happened to him. The Caribbean's guy's story is totally different. He was a real fool and by saying that I'm not looking down on him. I am just telling from my experience. Here's a few of his magic work examples:

1) We received our raw materials for processing at our warehouse. Delivery drivers and every one else needed to have full PPE on, while at the warehouse area and that includes hard hat, high visibility vest, safety glasses and safety boots. The drivers, mostly foreigners and particularly from Punjabi decent, barely followed the protocol unless they are told to. This fool came to me at least in two occasions and asked me what to do!? I have to mention that he was a so-called Safety Representative! I told him once that he had to do his job. I couldn't tell him what to do. He was the Safety Rep., not me. I once said " Approach them and talk to them politely and firmly. Explain to them what the safety requirements are and ask them to comply! " How hard is that?! 

2) We have a number of small office equipment, if I can call them, such as lamination machine, landline phone and similar in our office, like any other offices, everywhere else. Once I was going there to get a pen and saw him holding the door. I was going to enter and realized that he had a very big box, full of different item, and was trying to drag it out! I looked at him, in a sort of shock as why he was doing that! He asked me to hold the door so he could take the box out! I said that I could not help him because I was busy! Then I taught to myself: " What the hell is he thinking?! You can't take the items which is for everyone's use to your own office, you dolt! ". 

He got disappeared a few weeks after that, apparently there were too many complaint about him. No wonder why! The question is how could someone hire a person with this kind of personality and put him to work in the first place? Is this what Canadian experience is about?! 

Did I make my point or do we need more examples of the so-called " Experienced Canadians "?!
(Photo: Some immigrants are frustrated by hearing this statement over and over but I know people who got good and well-paid position without the so-called experience)

No comments: