Sunday, November 11, 2018

CFLRS Notes (43): Eating and Drinking in Rooms


I thought perhaps Remembrance Day would be a good day a story from the time I tried to become a member of Canadian Armed Forces and apparently I failed. This is story number 43 as seen in the title of the post. For all the previous 42 stories just simply type CFLRS and you'll get them all. 
Eating and drinking, except for water of course, is forbidden in barracks of CFLRS. However similar to other rules, this as well is broken by recruits at times. There was this guy within the second platoon that I was with, a Korean guy, who was a very strong fella, physically of course, but kind of crazy and dumb! Once a couple of, I must say, beautiful Korean girls visited him in his room and later on it was found out that they had brought him candy and other snacks! He approached me and others with this story that, I don't quite remember, he needs money for something or owes to someone. So he convinced me to buy some from him! His price was reasonable and I, at the time, liked a little snack and didn't care about the risks. Therefore I asked T. J. to pay him and told him that I would pay him (T. J.!) later. I don't think there was anyone else doing this kind of stuff. His cover was blown later. I don't know how the instructors found out but perhaps he had forgotten to lock his closet, I would call it, as it was common and I forgot to do that a few times. I guess the instructors considered a sort of punishment for him but just don't remember what it was. 
I per me, I never got that hungry to bring something up from the kitchen, as they call it over there or buy from outside but I used to bring Lemon wedges up to cleanse my face with that and I guess guys, most specifically T. J., would get upset about that and point at that. One night I remember that I just had rubbed Lemons to my face and there probably were a few pieces of pulp still hanging. T. J. said that he thinks he should get me a sort of Lemon-infused lotion. I was about to answer when someone shouted Room! That in CFLRS, no matter where you are, means that either instructors or ranking officers are in presence and we all have to be in attention position. I guess I had washed my face because the instructors said nothing. That was the only time I had a narrow escape although I don't think anything serious would have happened, had I been caught using the wedges my face.
During the time that I spent between the two platoons, I was given the chance to go home once. I bought a bag of Indian snack (East Indian, as they like to call it here!) and hid it in my closet. It was actually no hiding. It was just storing. Nothing happened about that as I transferred it to my bag and there was no problem with having such stuff in your bag as your bag was in the storage room. There was nothing else. Generally one should avoid consuming food and drinks in the rooms. It simply not worth it. Enough food is provided to the recruits three times a day and there's a store, a number of vending machines and a Subway sandwich bar. So there really is no need to risk it.
(Photo: Salad and fruit mostly comprised my daily meal in CFLRS as most of the food was awful over there except for breakfast. Lemon wedges were available to add to your food or salad and I never hesitated to take as many as I could)

No comments: