Sunday, January 13, 2019

Hueco Tanks State Park, TX

As I indicated in the previous post our plan of hiking Guadeloupe Peak had to be replaced with a short hike in Hueco Tanks State Park, mainly due to persistence from Alphonse which basically ruined the second part of the trip! I always had problem finding a good partner for hiking. I have hiked with the American guy from Boston, who used to work with us, M. C., I have hiked with The Chef, I have hiked with The Hope, I have hiked with Newlywed and I have hiked with The Lady. Not a single person ever satisfied me as a good hiking partner! They all complained about being tired or cold or at risk! I guess my next hikes would be all solo like many others that I have already done.
This park, just about half an hour northeast of El Paso, was not as exciting as I had expected to be but regardless of that everything after we changed the hiking plan became complicated and chaotic! First we went to park but were stopped by a Texas Parks ranger! It was not only us! He, who looked like he was Hispanic, like many others in the area, told us that we had to wait because there were enough visitors in the park! I didn't understand! In fact I had been to so many parks in the US and Canada and that was the first time I heard something like that. I'm very impatient in situations such as that! We drove a lot to see wildlife, nature and enjoy a hike, not wait outside. So I told Alphonse to switch the plan to some place else! He wanted to wait to see what would happen! Eventually we decided to go and see a nearby guest house that we originally wanted to stay in and that was because I told him that I would not be able to sleep in Palace Inn for another night!
The vegetation is generally beautiful in the park and I'm certain it's more beautiful in summer
The place was not too far and after calling and booking the rooms  we went there to see what it looked like. Unfortunately that didn't seem to be a comfortable place for me to stay! So we headed back to the park and there surprisingly was nobody! No car! No ranger! No nothing!
We went inside and at the booth we found out what had happened. You need to fill out a form after paying the admission and then you're directed to a room to watch a short video to understand the importance of the area, its history and it's significance to local Native people. The clip was good and educational but the ranger then asked us a number of silly questions! We thought he would ask questions about the spots to avoid, collect the garbage, avoid going off the trail and such. Instead he asked questions such as what was the name of this and how many million years ago that happened?! I was going to say: Are you stupid?! You're telling me that your heritage, many pictographs, which by the way we didn't see even one single of them(!), have been destroyed by thoughtless people and you ask me questions about a million years ago! We then left the room after receiving some information as how to make it an enjoyable hike, from the ranger. 
The Hueco Hacienda, the guesthouse near Hueco Tanks State Park where we wanted to spend our night in but then the plan was changed
The park comprises of three hills which are the results of an eruption, millions of years ago. Two of the hills are off limit to the public unless they go there with a guide. We decided to take the only available hill. As I said the ranger provided some information to Alphonse as how to go up, find a cave and see pictographs but after spending nearly an hour and a half we saw nothing! The main reason was that we were exhausted both from the previous hike and the long drive from Arizona to Texas. I had told Alphonse that doing two hikes, even if they are considered moderate, is wrong. That is why I didn't enjoy much of our short hike in this park. 
We then returned to the city and discussed where to stay. Alphonse wanted to get closer to home(!) so after dinner, we drove back toward west with the hope that we can find a nice place on I-10 and sleep. 
(Photo, top: A view from the top of one of the hills in Hueco Tanks State Park looking southwest. The affect of rain, snow, ice and other atmospheric phenomena has made big holes in the area which act as water tanks and from years ago, I assume, millions, animals and human beings have used the area to rest, drink and even settle down)

No comments: