Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Mesa, AZ to El Paso, TX via New Mexico

We headed southeast after we finished our hike in Lost Dutchman State Park. My plan was to go to Tuscon and then from there to El Paso in order to get to Guadeloupe Mountains National Park to hike the highest peak in the State of Texas. However our physical condition didn't seem to be in a status(!) which guarantee our success! My right foot was in pain and my tendons were both very sore (near knee cap) which I will definitely see a physician for. Alphonse's situation was way worse than me although he was saying that he was fine! 
Despite the plan he took Highway # 70 and went through New Mexico. That's what the GPS had suggested, he said. Before leaving Arizona, we checked Goldfield Ghost Town, as he wanted to. It's a nice place to see but mainly for the kids. Besides he never spends a penny and the town comprises of different businesses which make the trip worthwhile. Nevertheless by the time we reached El Paso it was dark and since we had a reservation, we went to the hotel directly. I had booked Palace Inn which is a brand new building with all shiny and new furniture and very clean and nice. There're problems though, in my view: 
1- The hotel is just right next to the Inter-State 10 which is a very busy highway. Everyone who's going to eastern Texas has to take this highway and we know how noisy that could be even at night.
2- The business is either owned or managed or both by East Indians! That is a major issue for a hotel. In this case they try to cut every possible corner to save a Dime!
We got our rooms and then we went out to eat and discuss tomorrow's plan. We, by accident, found this great buffet, which I will write about separately, and enjoyed a good meal. 
Alphonse said that he was not ready to do that hike and encouraged me to go and added that he would come back down if he feels tired or sore and I could continue on my own. I didn't like the idea because first of all I don't know how long it would take and I don't want to leave him there by himself on the bottom. He eventually gets bored and regrets that he has suggested doing that and that ruins our friendship. The other issue was there's a 2-hour drive between El Paso and Guadeloupe Mountains National Park. Going all the way there without being able to hike the mountain would simply be waste of gasoline and time. 
We stopped for gasoline in one of these huge gas station/stores and this old pump caught my attention. Texaco sign, logo or emblem or whatever you want to name it is not seen these years anywhere, at least in Canada. I think it's because the company is now a subsidiary of Chevron
I suggested the other two available hiking areas near the city: Franklin Mountains State Park and Hueco Tanks State Park. Alphonse agreed on the latter. We then returned to the hotel and got ready for sleep. We were both tired and went to bed very early. I guess I fell sleep around 21:30 and then woke up around 23:30 as a result of the noise from highway! That was how I slept the whole night: Sleeping for two freaking hours and then waking up and then staying up for a number of minutes. Then falling sleep again and then waking up from the noise and on and on!
(Photo: While on the highway or any road, I usually look for any possible photo opportunity but Alphonse were driving like a maniac! However I got a chance to take a photograph of this beautiful mountain when we were switching seats. This is hard to say where is located exactly. We were driving on Inter-State 10 in New Mexico but the mountain could be in Texas. This was an experience to prevent Alphonse from driving if we ever will have a road trip! I want a relaxed drive with frequent stops. He just pushes the pedal and wants to get to the destination!)

No comments: