Saturday, February 09, 2019

The New Canada Food Guide

The new Canada Food Guide was released in Jan. and the first reaction to that was a fuss from parts of agriculture industry(!), a usual Canadian reaction to an event, I would call it! Canadians, the majority of them, from what I have experienced in the past 15 years or so, get excited very quickly for the things that my reaction to them would be NOTHING! An example of that would be my friend's. A. F., reaction to me passing an interview with a Provincial Government subsidiary organization a few years ago. He thought I would be going all the way and would get the job. He asked me if I was excited?!! I answered why I would have been to be excited!! It was not that I was in the back of a truck behind a Dshk (ДШК) waiting to shoot at ISIS positions!! I knew that more steps needed to be passed to get to the position. I only had passed 2 stages at the moment. I later were thrown out from the list of the candidates simply because a reference had not confirmed me to be a good candidate for the job which by the way a fact. I knew that myself but being desperate and out of job for a long time had driven me to that application. Nevertheless that was just an example.
The new guide focuses on fruits and vegetables as well as whole grain and indicates that protein should be obtained from, mostly, plant based sources. This for a country that only one province of it, Alberta, has nearly 16,000,000 cows, cannot be a good news but the fact is nobody cares. In fact the number of people who know that Government of Canada even have issued something called Food Guide is not big! There're people who go to McDonald's and other fast food joints every simple day. 
For a Filipino who had to eat dogs to survive or for an African who had not even seen Hamburger in his life before coming to Canada or for a Vietnamese who, if had ever eaten meat, it would have been Pig, going to a McDonald's and similar and eat the nasty, disgusting crap that this joint and others provide is not only pleasing but also a sign of pride! They in fact take pictures of themselves and send it to their people of their village to show how modern, Westernize and happy they are! 
The fact is food is only a factor that affects longevity and health. There're other factors to consider: Genetics, stress, you name it. I personally do not think that the guide is bad. It has its flaws but certainly have good point. I assure the beef producers and fast food joints in Canada that they should not be worried about their sells and profit. No one cares about the food guide and anything similar, including Canadians. Everyone just want to dump something in their belly and that's it. As long as something is available, who cares what it does to the body! And many of those things are available at every corner, shopping mall, airport, school, you name it. 
(Photo: A shelf contain processed food in a popular grocery store in Canada. With foods that cheap and ready to eat who would cook or check to see what Government of Canada says about eating?!)

No comments: