Monday, August 22, 2022

The Comfort of not Having Many Choices

I watched Collateral, a 2004 movie, in continuation of my Old Movie Streak(!), if I could say that, yesterday, although an 04 movie might not be considered " Old " in comparison with others that I've recently watched and they were from late 60's or early 70's! I will write about them later. 
The movie, at the beginning, seemed slow and grim! If a movie starts with dark scenes, such as night or indoor with poor lighting, it'll throw me off! It could've been my screen though! I resisted and then the story began! Very good story and Cruise has been great as always. In fact it could be one of his best performances. Foxx is who have been praised for his role a lot and was nominated for an OSCAR but we all know what OCSAR means! Not that I am degrading Foxx's performance.
What I'd have like about the story is if Foxx's character would have assisted Cruise's and teamed up with him, instead of being a whining bitch! I guess the screen writer wanted the story to be a normal one: A taxi driver can't be a hitman in an instance and naturally reacts emotionally and if he could, would resist.

Michael Mann, the director in a scene with Cruise
A few people have roles in this movie which was a kind of strange to me but I think it seems strange now because it's a movie from 18 years ago. There's this British actor who has appeared in cheap, action B-movies and his name is Jason he appears for 30 seconds(!) and has one line! And there's this woman, the wife of W. Smith who for her, Smith slapped C. Rock and got fired from the Academy! She doesn't have such a mentionable performance and she looks different from what she is now, of course! 
The center point of the story is Cruise and without his brilliant performance the film would have not been formed in this perfect shape. 
(Photo, top: Tom Cruise, Mark Ruffalo and Jami Foxx in the elevator scene of the movie. Ruffalo has a much smaller role in comparison to the other two)

No comments: