Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The Panicked Fella

I was at work few days ago and one guy turned to me and asked if I was Quality Control. I confirmed and he seemed not happy about something. He mentioned about a thing that I had done long time ago and said it was wrong! He added that it was wrong because " they " had done it differently! I explained to him that I had done not without being aware of what " they " had done and we could fix it. It didn't calm him and he went " I worked in Quality for eight years! " Here's the problem, or perhaps I should say " one of the many problems " with a pathetic and stupid company: Everyone could do anything and they call it being " Versatile "! A electrician could be Site Supervisor, a new graduate kid from school could be Project Manager, a guy could do manual work on site and be called Director, whatever that means and so on! 
This normally happens in the companies which deal with low-tech project but that is not that. A guy who just has recently graduated from a school certainly cannot be a Project Manager or that project could be as well-managed as the one that I'm working on! One might ask what this so-called Project Manager has been doing that you criticize his work? As far as I know he sits in the office with the door closed and do different things including working on Excel Sheets(!), having chat with his bodies(!) and who knows what else! Perhaps this is the job description for the Project Manager in this company while we're dealing with the current issues, and these are the ones that I'm aware of:

1- The material that we've received are put everywhere and the whole ares is so dis-organized that finding a needle in a haystack would be easier! For that the Project Manager, not this one that I referred to just above, another one, as we have two on the project(!), just issued an authorization for the assembly team to use items of Project A for Project B and vise versa because he had been told what mess is created there!

2- Work-force assignment is terrible. They haven't been able to do that at all. We have people who walk around and people who drive around simply because there's no understanding person to put them on something else as soon as they finish one work.

3- The other work-force problem is having too many bosses at site! Currently there are at least 5 guys at site who mostly do a little and order others and at times their orders conflict with each other.

There are so many problems in this company but I'm going back to the subject as we're too far now. They guy whom is going to be Versatile(!) said that he would call The Boss! I didn't say anything because I know I had not done anything wrong. When I talked to The Tout Lover later and explained to him how mad the guy had been he said that The Boss had received a call from the guy and the reason he was angry was that he thought he had done something wrong! The Boss never talked to me but we agreed that I would do the rest of the same work the way Versatile and his buddies have done. No problem. The next day I saw him and he was so friendly and pleasant! That's where I realized that The Tout Lover was right: The guy scared shit-less that he might get shit for what he had done!
(Photo: This cartoon, if I may call it, does not look like the guy so much but certainly depicts his reaction. I think he didn't expect it to let it go when he called The Boss and when realized that I his position had not been threatened sighed and became friendly!)

No comments: