Sunday, December 25, 2022

Stress on the Grid

This past week's extreme cold, the authorities said, had a tremendous stress on the grid in a way that two warnings were given and they added that a black out would be inevitable. That, of course, was because of the high consumption and people were asked to reduce it by, for instance, cooking by microwave instead of cook-top(!) and do not use as much Christmas lights as they usually do! 
No one ever said that Calgary Tower should turn the lights off or all those high-rise buildings in Downtown which leave their majority of their lights on, should conserve energy! 
My consumption is usually lower than other house but with that problem I had with my furnace yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if I had a bigger bill, next time. 
(Photo: My energy service provider sends a chart similar to this, on regular bases. I have pointed to this previously in another post. With price of everything going up, it's important to reduce energy consumption)

No comments: